Lowes Foods Christmas Parade & Tree Lighting
The City of Hickory will host its annual holiday season kick-off event, the Lowes Foods Christmas Parade & Tree Lighting, on Friday, Nov. 17. Lowes Foods has been the sponsor of this festive event since the first year.
A special procession of the Fallen Heroes ministry to honor fallen soldiers from North Carolina will begin at 5:45 p.m., preceding the parade, which will directly follow at 6 p.m.
Retired Hickory Police Chief Thurman Whisnant has been selected as the grand marshal of the parade and will lead the floats, vehicles, and participants through downtown.
Whisnant retired from public service earlier this year on Jan. 31, after 30 years in law enforcement with Hickory Police Department.
Parade entries will be announced as they pass by the parking deck on First Avenue NW. A committee of community leaders and volunteers will serve as judges of the parade and give awards for Most Creative, Most Christmas Spirit, Best Well-Crafted Theme, and Best Overall.
At the conclusion of the parade, Santa’s float will stop at Union Square so he can light the Christmas tree in downtown Hickory. Holiday music will be performed by Hickory Music Factory until 8:30 p.m.
Although Santa will be departing for the North Pole after the tree lighting, a winter wonderland snow globe will be on Union Square for attendees to enter and take photographs.
The Newton Depot Christmas Layout, sponsored by the Newton Depot Authority, will display two beautiful 8-foot by 6-foot trains and a moving trolley on The Sails on the Square Stage for all to see.
Visitors can also stop by the Hickory Downtown Development Association’s table to write a letter to Santa and mail it to the North Pole.
Many downtown businesses will remain open throughout the event and offer specials, making the evening a great time for patrons to begin their holiday shopping.
The parade will follow the following route:
• Parade starts at the intersection of Fourth Street NW and First Avenue NW
• Continues on First Avenue NW towards City Hall
• Turns right on North Center Street
• Turns right on Main Avenue NW
• Continues through Union Square and exits on Main Avenue NW (Santa will be dropped off at Union Square before exiting downtown)
For more information about the City of Hickory’s Lowes Foods Christmas Parade & Tree Lighting, please visit www.hickorync.gov/christmasparade.
- Fall Downtown Hickory Art Crawl and Side/Show Are Back!
- Jazz On Tap Legacy Concert Series
- Early Registration For Autolawn Euro Classic Car Show On October 7 Is Now Available
- Downtown Hickory’s Oktoberfest Announces The 2023 Music Headliners, October 13, 14 & 15
- Saturday Screenings In Downtown Hickory
- August 2023
- July 2023
- February 2023
- July 2022
- June 2022
- May 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- May 2021
- March 2021
- January 2021
- November 2020
- October 2020
- August 2020
- April 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- May 2019